Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 25, 2013

UNIVERSAL FAM TRIP - FEBRUARY 25TH

I slept extremely well.....not a single sound in the room and I do not think I even moved in this heavenly bed! I got up around 6 and got my shower and got dressed in park touring clothes, which means comfy shoes!  We were meeting at 8 at Trattoria Del Porto for breakfast;  I headed down around 7:45 and took some pictures along the way.

taken from a balcony in the villas section
Forgot to mention there's a Keurig in the room

Shops inside just off the lobby area
Best flower I ever smelled!
We had some tables assigned already for us and most of us walked in a few a time.  Most of us had  the buffet which was filled with french toast, belgian waffles, pancakes, all kinds of melon, croissants, pastries, eggs, bacon, sausage, oats.  I had some small pastries, eggs/bacon/ and a wedge of french toast and one quarter of a belgian waffle. It was all really good!  You know it's good when I forget to take pictures!

Around 9:15, we were ushered out to our shuttle bus that took us to the entrance of the parks. We were taken to a VIP gathering area where there was coffee/tea/water and restrooms. At this point, we met our VIP tourguides and were given our VIP lanyards.




  We were going to tour Islands of Adventure first.  First up was The Hulk.  Most rode, a few stayed back, me being one of them.  I know what I can handle and what I cannot handle. Upside down and backwards or spinning tends to give me really bad headaches and nausea but I can do simulators with no problem. The rides were all explained to us before riding and this really helped us decide what to do.  After Hulk, we were backdoored in to Spiderman. I had been on this before and knew I liked it. It was great and so realistic!


This whole Marvel comic area is so well done. After Spiderman, we went backstage and in to a Spiderman vehicle "garage" where vehicles are repaired and/or tested. They even have a mini version of the track and one was being tested while we were in there. As we waited for the door to open, Spiderman drove by on an ATV and waved!  No pictures backstage though!


You can say that again!

Next up was Jurassic Park. I always thought this was so well done. Last time I had been through here was not long after the movie came out!  We were given ponchos if we intended on riding but you still get pretty wet depending on where you are sitting.  It was really warm today and I guess that would have felt good but I did not want wet feet. A few of us sat it out but since all the riders were being backdoored on to rides, our waits were no longer than 5 minutes or so for those not riding.


After the riding was over, we walked through the Discovery Center which is exactly like the movie, right down to the dinosaur eggs!

dino eggs hatching



Next up was Wizarding World of Harry Potter!  I had heard so much about this "land" but I have not seen the movies or read the book so while it was harder for me to understand the theming, even  I could see how well done this is. I was not sure about riding the ride itself but I did not want to go home and say I chickened out!  I had heard lines were really bad here but it said only a 20 minute wait for regular guests. Of course, we were backdoored and walked through part of the castle and saw some really neat effects.  Well, I am here to say I did survive but there were times during the ride, it was doubtful!  The last thing I remember seeing was big spiders and I started feeling strange in my head like I might pass out. I kept my eyes shut, opening every once in awhile. It seemed very long!  When I opened my eyes, it got worse....how much longer would this last, lol.  Finally, it was over and I did it.  There are steps when you get off the ride and it is very dark, thank goodness it was cool in there.




I forget the name of the next ride, I did not pay attention when I saw that it twisted and went upside down. A few of us stayed back and watched the bags for those that rode.



Next we went to one of my favorite parts of the park, Seuss Landing. Not because we were going to have lunch here but because I love the whimsical and whacky look and feel of this land.  Who doesn't love Dr. Seuss!


We had lunch inside here and there was also a drink refill station.  We were given these large cups that you normally would purchase and they are good for refills at these stations through the day. I do not drink pop much so I got some Lite Lemonade.  If you purchase the meal plan, you are given a bracelet showing your length of purchase and you do not get credits like Disney, it is literally good for food for as many times as you want to get it.  There are 3 counter service areas for this in each park.  This is one of them, where we had lunch.

The Seuss train passes through here.
One of the drink stations, endless options!
Next we went in to Shrek 4D which is watched with 3D glasses and motion seats move you around. This was a cute movie with Shrek and Fiona and you even get a little wet!  Shrek and Fiona were outside for a meet and greet.
Rip Ride Rocket
Next up was Rip Ride Rocket which I sat out.  A few of us went on a bathroom break in the Monsters Cafe.
One of the best 3D rides I've ever been on!
We were headed in to the Horror Make up Show and were seated down in front. This was not only funny but somewhat graphic! It must have been pretty bad and somewhat unexpected for some because about 5 different groups of guests got up and left in the middle of the show! The hosts were joking at first when they left but then started letting the guests know they were not happy. They said we are not at Disney, I do not have to be nice.    :::::GRAPHIC PICTURE WARNING:::::::::::






At some point, some people did Revenge of the Mummy.  I decided to sit it out but I probably should have tried it.

We headed over to try one more ride, Men in Black, before dinner.  We are so spoiled getting on these rides so fast!  I was doing good but did not realize to push the red button at the end and that would raise my score.  Saw some huge celebrities along the way!

Lucy!
Marilyn!

We were running a few minutes late for dinner so we headed out to Lombard's Seafood Grille. It was not far away at all from Men in Black.  We had preordered from the menus already (while at breakfast). This is part of the Cinematic Experience and included a dessert bar after dinner.  I had sirloin steak and salad for my appetizer.  The desserts looked so good! Our timing was perfect because as we were seated for dinner, the skies let loose!





After dinner and desserts, we were seated on the outside terrace to watch The Cinematic Experience.  It was a series of film genres from Universal projected on to a water screen with dancing waters and fireworks.  It was narrated by Morgan Freeman.  It was really enjoyable and covered so many favorite of movies of mine.





After the show, it was time for us to head back and call it a day.  It was a nice pleasant walk back to the water taxis, the park was closed and very little guests were still around; everyone was making their way out. It had been a long but really super fun day with everyone! I was not nearly as tired as the day before and I felt like I could go a bit longer but I was looking forward to relaxing in my villa!

walking out

That is it for today's VIP Park Tours!  Tomorrow is the site tours for all 3 hotels and RCCL training and some free time in the afternoon.  Starting with breakfast at Trattoria del Porto and ending with dinner at Mama Della's. How perfect is this job for me!

2 comments:

  1. Very perfect for you! Sounds wonderful! I wish I was still with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great recap, Donna! I am so glad you were able to experience the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. You know how much I love Disney Parks, however, the WWoHP is absolutely amazing. The theming is incredible and the Forbidden Journey ride is incredible. Jen and I spent hours in WWoHP and rode Forbidden Journey three times the last time we were at Universal. Also, Rip Ride Rockit is our favorite roller coaster. Talk about an adrenaline rush! :D

    ReplyDelete